Handle With Care – 7 Tips For Safely Packing and Shipping One-of-a-Kind Furniture
Are you a refurbisher of antique furniture? Perhaps you design custom pieces to fit a specific need in your client’s home or business. Either way, you’ve likely put in countless hours already to make sure every little detail is perfect. Don’t throw that all away by rushing the packaging and shipping preparation.
The best way to avoid accidental damage to your one-of-a-kind furniture is with the proper preparation. While all of Freight Buddy’s partnered carriers are especially careful with their cargo, the one thing they can’t control is how well the shipment is packed. If you’re packaging the piece yourself, here are a few helpful tips to follow.
- Take several photos of your furniture piece, both up close and from different angles. While mid-transit damage is rare, this is always a good precaution to take.
- Place any removable covers, throw pillows, or other loose fabrics into plastic bags to keep them clean and dry.
- Can the piece be easily disassembled? If so, do it. Furniture legs, for instance, can be wrapped individually, labeled, and kept along with the rest of the piece to avoid snapping off.
- It’s important to keep all screws, fasteners, and small pieces together in a sealed plastic bag. It’s a good idea to tape that bag directly to the furniture to avoid misplacement.
- Does the piece have drawers? While some cabinets and small doors can simply be taped shut, it’s safest to remove all drawers and pack them separately.
- Protect any furniture corners with bubble wrap and/or cardboard. (You can make your own by cutting out the corners of a thick, empty box.)
- If possible, reinforce the entire piece by placing it inside a double box or a crate. Use bubble wrap or foam to cover any sensitive areas, and then fill any remaining space with more soft material for extra safety.
If that all sounds like too much for you, why not let a professional take over? Our sister company, Freight Buddy Crate and Ship, specializes in helping with all of your crating and boxing needs.
Now you’re ready to ship with Freight Buddy
If you’ve followed all of those steps, your priceless piece of furniture is now ready to be shipped to its destination. Grab your free freight quote today or give one of our experienced shipping agents a call at 800.578.6009. We’ll work with you to find the best carrier for your delicate delivery, and make sure it gets to its destination safely and on time.